High School Graduations at Patriot Center
Posted: June 3, 2013 at 2:00 am, Last Updated: June 4, 2013 at 9:42 pm
George Mason University is host to two dozen area high school graduations this year. With attendance at the ceremonies ranging from 2,000 to 6,000 graduates and their family members, the Patriot Center is one of the few venues in the area able to accommodate these large groups.
This week begins the graduations, with the next on Saturday, June 8, and the last on Wednesday, June 19, making these weeks some of the busiest on the Fairfax Campus.
The doors to the Patriot Center open an hour before the ceremony begins, and heavy traffic is expected up to 90 minutes before each ceremony. Most of the ceremonies will last about two hours.
Parking and Transportation Services encourages staff and students to use the Rappahannock River Parking Deck or the Field House parking lots to avoid traffic. Mason will be best accessed through entrances off of University Drive or Roberts Road. Check the Building Patriot Pride website and Parking and Transportation’s Facebook and Twitter pages for updates on conditions on and around campus.
The schedule of graduations and expected attendance follows.
Saturday, June 8
- 9:30 a.m. Hylton (5,500)
- 2:30 p.m. Forest Park (4,800)
- 7 p.m. Freedom (PWCPS) (3,200)
Sunday, June 9
- 2 p.m. Park View (2,200)
- 7 p.m. Broad Run (2,700)
Monday, June 10
- 10 a.m. Freedom (LCPS) (3,100)
- 2 p.m. Stone Bridge (3,900)
- 7 p.m. Briar Woods (3,000)
Thursday, June 13
- 9:30 a.m. Robinson (5,400)
- 2 p.m. Falls Church (2,000)
- 7:30 p.m. Chantilly (5,400)
Friday, June 14
- 9:30 a.m. Oakton (4,050)
- 2 p.m. West Springfield (4,250)
- 7 p.m. Gar-Field (5,300)
Saturday, June 15
- 2 p.m. Osbourn Park (4,500)
- 7 p.m. Thomas Jefferson (3,700)
Monday, June 17
- 9:30 a.m. South County (4,250)
- 2 p.m. Robert E. Lee (3,600)
- 7:30 p.m. Westfield (4,050)
Tuesday, June 18
- 9:30 a.m. Centreville (4,350)
- 2 p.m. West Potomac (2,500)
- 7:30 p.m. Herndon (3,500)
Wednesday, June 19
- 9:30 a.m. Lake Braddock (6,000)
Write to Robin Herron at firstname.lastname@example.org