Mason Recognized as a Fit-Friendly Company
Posted: May 23, 2013 at 3:06 pm, Last Updated: May 23, 2013 at 3:11 pm
The designation acknowledges that George Mason has taken steps to create a culture of physical activity in the workplace.
Some of the efforts Mason has made are outlined on the Wellness by Mason web page, a collaboration of more than 20 departments at Mason.
Specific activities and services include:
- Mason Walk In map of indoor “fitness trails” providing walking options during inclement weather
- Discounted membership to Mason athletic facilities and many outside fitness facilities
- The annual “Happy Heart Walk,” promoting physical activity for a healthy heart
- Designated outdoor walking trails on the Fairfax and Prince William Campuses
- Periodic health and wellness seminars, telecast to all campuses
- “The Resolution Solution,” a nine-week department challenge to be physically active, which offers free fitness passes for participation
- Bike to Work programs with incentives such as gift cards and complimentary parking.
- Free yoga, Tai Chi, and meditation offered to students, faculty and staff by the Center for Consciousness and Transformation
- An Annual “Health and Fitness Expo” with more than 100 exhibitors, multiple free health screenings and fitness demonstrations
- Healthy food and beverage options daily and “healthy” choice labeling by Mason Dining
- “Balanced Choices” labeling for “healthy” food and beverage choices in worksite vending machines
“It is a great honor to be recognized by the American Heart Association as a Fit-Friendly Company,” says Rizna Ahmed, director of benefits in the Office of Wellness and Worklife. “This recognition reflects the university’s commitment to offering an array of programs and opportunities for the Mason community that promote a healthy lifestyle. Our colleagues who participate in Wellness by Mason are enthusiastic partners in these initiatives, and we’re thrilled that Mason has once again been recognized.”
Write to Robin Herron at firstname.lastname@example.org