Convocations and Speakers Announced
Posted: May 7, 2013 at 5:00 am, Last Updated: May 8, 2013 at 6:58 am
The 46th annual George Mason University Commencement for all graduating students will take place on Saturday, May 18, at 10 a.m. in the Patriot Center. Additionally, all schools and colleges will hold their own convocation ceremonies. All graduating students may attend Commencement; students may also attend their own school or college convocation.
See the Commencement page for ticketing and other information. Check with individual colleges for convocation information, including ticketing if any.
A full schedule of events follows.
Wednesday, May 15
- College of Science, 2 p.m., Patriot Center. Speaker: Deborah Myers, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Discovery Science Channel
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences (master’s and doctoral students), 7 p.m., Patriot Center. Speaker: Peter Stearns, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs of George Mason University
Thursday, May 16
- College of Health and Human Services, 10 a.m., Patriot Center. Speaker: David Mastran, Founder of Grand Vista Music; President of QuaverMusic.com; and founder and former CEO of Maximus Inc.
- New Century College, 11 a.m., Concert Hall. Speaker: Jamie Konstas, FBI Intelligence Analyst
- Volgenau School of Engineering, 2 p.m., Patriot Center. Speaker: Kenneth Ball, Dean of the Volgenau School of Engineering
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences (humanities and interdisciplinary students), 7 p.m., Patriot Center. Speaker: Mara Liasson, National Political Correspondent for National Public Radio and contributor at Fox News Channel
Friday, May 17
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences (social sciences students), 10 a.m., Patriot Center. Speaker: Ilryong Moon, Chairman of the Fairfax County School Board
- School of Recreation, Health and Tourism (College of Education and Human Development), noon, Hylton Performing Arts Center, Prince William Campus. Speaker: Paul Hewitt, Head Coach of Men’s Basketball, George Mason University
- College of Visual and Performing Arts, 2 p.m., Concert Hall. No speaker; student performances
- School of Management, 4 p.m., Patriot Center. Speaker: Frank Islam, Founder and CEO of Frank Islam Investment Group
- School of Public Policy, 7 p.m., Concert Hall. Speaker: Donna Edwards, Congresswoman of the fourth district of Maryland
Saturday, May 18
- George Mason University Commencement, 10 a.m., Patriot Center. Speaker: Sen. Mark R. Warner
- Graduate School of Education (College of Education and Human Development), 2 p.m., Patriot Center. Speaker: Sharon P. Robinson, President of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- School of Law, 2 p.m., Concert Hall. Speaker: William T. Newman, Jr., Chief Judge of the Arlington Circuit Court
- School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution, 2 p.m., Johnson Center Dewberry Hall. Speaker: Louise Diamond, co-founder of the Institute for Multi-Track Diplomacy
Write to Robin Herron at firstname.lastname@example.org